Planning Learning Experiences Outside
the Classroom: Teacher Preparation
- Familiarise yourself with the appropriate school and
system policies for conducting learning experiences beyond the school
- Pre-visit the site(s).
- Develop clear objectives for the study.
- Decide how you can build on previous learning experiences.
- Plan pre-field study learning experiences and prepare
students to see fieldwork as active learning.
- Prepare fieldwork activities and resources.
- What background information do the staff require?
- Decide how much time is required for the tasks and
for travel to and from the site.
- Identify all possible risks and manage them appropriately,
i.e. complete a Risk Management Matrix.
- Be aware of any possible distractions to students at
- Identify appropriate student/adult ratio. Parents may
need to be invited and briefed to assist the teacher with supervision.
- Organise the following:
- Consent form for parents
- Permission to visit the site
- Toilet facilities
- Clothing and equipment
- Departure and arrival times