The Objectives of Coastal and Marine Studies
- an awareness, appreciation and understanding of the
marine environment and the need for its conservation;
- environmentally responsible attitudes;
- a commitment to work for change that would promote
the conservation of the coastal and marine environment;
- a wide range of skills and behaviours for successfully
tackling coastal environmental problems;
- the ability to actively contribute to planning and
management processes; and
- a high level of commitment to future management programs.
The sustainability of marine and coastal systems depends
on 'Australians knowing about the marine environment, recognising threats
to it, wanting to care for it, and learning the skills to look after it.'