Although NMEA and MESA are the conveners of the One Ocean Marine Forum, the Forum is a stand-alone meeting that will follow the 2005 NMEA Conference. Rather than being a meeting where participants deliver papers, the Forum is set to be conducted using an open space facilitation format. Over two days up to 40 Forum Delegates will address tasks such as:
- Compilation of a written statement that reflects the Delegates’ collective response to the challenge of developing meaningful and sustained corporation among marine educators across the Pacific Basin.
- Compilation of a One Ocean Marine Education Register that contains the following elements:
- a list of key marine education entities in the Pacific Basin;
- a list of best practice marine education projects and initiatives in the Pacific Basin; and
- a list of potential cooperative international marine education projects in the Pacific Basin. Although Pacific Basin nations would be the focus of this Register, it will be prepared as the foundation for a World One Ocean Marine Education Register.
- Compilation of a preliminary Marine Education Network Strategy and set of Guiding Principles for the Pacific Basin.
- Compilation of a 5 year plan for international cooperation in marine education.