The Purpose of Coastal and Marine Studies
|Source: Adapted from Our Sea, Our Future: Major Findings of the
State of the Marine Environment Report for Australia, Department
of the Environment, Sport and Territories, Canberra, 1995, pp. 34-37
The sustainability of coastal and marine systems depends
on Australians knowing about the marine environment, recognising the threats
to it, wanting to care for it, and learning the skills to look after it.
- an awareness, appreciation and understanding of the
marine environment and of the need for its conservation;
- environmentally responsible attitudes;
- a commitment to work for a change that would promote
the conservation of the coastal and marine environment;
- a wide range of skills for successfully tackling coastal
- the ability to actively contribute to planning and
management processes; and
- a high level of commitment to future management programs.