Overview and Objectives of the Workshop
- What are the goals that we, as a society, have agreed
to about the use of coastal and marine environments?
- What special understandings do we need to interpret
- What structures, laws, processes and practices are
currently in place to ensure the implementation of these goals?
- How can we have our say in the processes of deciding
goals, in general, and in making specific decisions on developments
that affect coastal and marine environments?
- To explain, in simple terms, the objectives of Ecologically
Sustainable Development (ESD).
- To illustrate how ESD principles can be incorporated
into coastal planning.
- To provide an overview of the structure of environmental
planning processes, including the identification of the agencies involved
in regulating the use of the coastal zone.
- To identify opportunities for citizens to participate
in the processes of coastal planning and the approval of coastal developments.