38 REEF FOOD WEBS
• In an ecosystem there are many different living organisms that interact with each other in many different ways.
• Predator and prey interactions are key relationships on the reef as this is when energy is transferred from one organism to another.
• A food chain is defined as the interrelationship among animals and plants concerning the transfer of energy (food).
• There are many food chains that exist on the reef and together they form food webs. A food web is defined as the complex network of many interconnected food chains and feeding interactions.
• Reef ED (Teaching Unit on food webs and interrelationships): http://www.reefed.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/16881/Food_Webs_and_Interrelationships.pdf
• Coral Reefs Journal (Article on over-fishing and impacts on food webs): http://www.springerlink.com/content/kg58x02236n41170/fulltext.pdf