TAKING ACTION: Sample Activities
As a class, suggest how we can make sure people become more aware of the marine environment and ways marine scientists can help us better understand the saltwater part of our world. Better understanding leads to more informed ways to reduce our impact and develop more sustainable management practices.
- Contribute to a class article for the school newsletter on marine scientists and how they help us understand more about our oceans.
- Prepare a display of scientific drawings and models of different marine organisms and invite other classes or parents to view the display and ask questions.
- Speak to other classes about the care of our coastal and marine environments.
- Turn your classroom into an underwater observatory and invite other classes to visit the display and ask questions.
- Organise school events that can include actions such as coastal environment clean ups, environmental monitoring and raising awareness of the importance and fragility of marine organisms and their environments.
- Work with local or regional scientists by making observations and recording data to contribute to research projects.
- Encourage the broader community to take more notice about the seafood products we consume and how our everday lifestyles can impact on the oceans of our planet.
- Identify and reflect on the factors that may influence the choice of sustainable seafoods by shoppers.
- Prepare letters to family and friends encouraging them to stop using plastic shopping bags.
- Invite a marine scientist or other local expert on marine matters to speak in class.
- Make a pamphlet to advertise marine science research projects that could have an impact on your community.
- Create a calendar illustrated with photographs or drawings of some of the unique organisms that live in our oceans and or the variety of marine habitats they live in.
- Make a poster about things we can learn from the work of marine scientists to help us repair, protect and preserve the marine environment for the future.
NEXT: REFLECTION: Sample Activities ...