ABOUT BAG SMART
Bag Smart is a social marketing campaign to reduce plastic shopping bags in the community.
Bag Smart connects people to the issue of plastic bags, demonstrates that there are alternatives, and supports the take up of sustainable social change.
Focus of the Bag Smart is on working with individuals, groups and organizations, which have express interest on taking some action to reduce the impact of plastic shopping bags on the environment.
Bag Smart supports local communities to develop and implement community - based campaigns through harnessing peoples interest and commitment, and fostering partnerships.
These campaigns are an illustration of how individuals and organisations can pull together to make a positive difference to the environment in their community.
The key themes are the 5Rs:
- Refuse Say “No Thanks” to plastic shopping bags at the checkout
- Reduce Only use plastic bags for those foodstuffs where it is necessary for good hygiene
- Reuse Use alternative bags to carry your shopping
- Recycle Return any unwanted plastic shopping bags to the store for recycling
- Re-think Consider how our actions impact on the environment