National Seaweek 2011 Challenge 2
Primary School Challenge – Grades 3 to 4
Theme: Australian marine environments (the places where marine scientists work).
Focus: With this theme we are looking for creative representations of any Australian coastal or marine environment that a marine scientist would study (not essential to include the marine scientist). We are posing the question “what does a particular marine environment look like and what lives there?”
For example: rocky shores, deep-sea, open ocean or coral reefs. Information on the Seaweek 2011 section of the MESA web sit should help teachers (and others) provide children with background information on a range of marine environments.
Format: Hand drawn sketch, painting, collage, mixed media or digital artwork (A5 web postcard format – maximum 500kB).
- A primary school teacher could enter on behalf of an individual grade. This teacher must be a MESA member ($40 per year, if you are not a MESA member you can simply join MESA as part of the Challenge entry process).
- If more than one teacher per school (e.g. four grade 1 teachers in a school). In this case the school must be an institutional member of MESA ($80 per year, as before, you can simply join MESA as part of the Challenge entry process).
- Non-school groups (e.g. home school groups) could also enter. The adult submitting the entry must also be a MESA member.
- Maximum 5 entries per MESA membership (individual or institutional). As a result, teachers are asked to prejudge and select the best 5 artworks to enter.
1. 1. Representation of chosen marine environment and portrayal of individual or groups of marine organisms.
2. Visual and artistic appeal.
- Gould League marine reader prize pack for best three entries.
- Best three entries plus a selection of highly commended entries will be posted on the MESA Seaweek 2011 web site.
- Seaweek 2011 certificate for all entries.
There may also be other state based prizes such as class boat cruises and visits to aquariums. Stay tuned to this web site for announcements.
Download Primary School Application Form
Next: Primary School Challenge – Grades 5 to 6